All activities should be supervised by an adult. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links.
Walruses, those marine mammals with their huge tusks and distinct movements, are sure to captivate kids. And if you’re seeking a fun craft to bring these Walruses to life, look no further than this Paper Plate walrus Craft!
With our easy-to-follow instructions, free template, and video tutorial, you’ll be transforming ordinary paper plates into adorable walruses in no time.
This engaging activity is perfect for kids of all ages and makes a wonderful addition to any polar unit study.
7 Walrus Facts for Kids
- Walruses are massive, tusked mammals.
- They live in the Arctic.
- Walruses may weigh up to 1 ton!
- Walruses can live for up to 40 years.
- They have thick blubber (up to 12 inches) which insulates them from chill waters.
- Social gatherings of up to 10,000 walruses are common on sea ice floes.
- Tusks serve various purposes, including fighting, digging, and defence.
- Their scientific name, Odobenus rosmarus, means “tooth-walking sea horse”
Things you will need to make the Paper plate Walrus Craft
- 9 Inch Paper Plate
- Washable paint Crayola -Brown
- Brown Craft Paper
- Fine marker pens
- Glue and Scissors
Watch the video on how to make a Walrus Craft
Directions to make the Paper plate Walrus Craft
Start by painting the paper plate evenly with a brown colour, ensuring complete coverage. Allow it to dry for 10 to 15 minutes.
For a mess-free alternative, opt for brown paper plates and proceed directly to the next step of the craft.
While the plate is drying, print the free walrus template and cut out the pieces, including the nose parts in both brown and black.
The templates come in 2 formats for home and School, which you can Learn further in the download tab at the end of this post.
Once the paper plate is dry, begin by sticking the long tusk pieces and the nose part.
Follow this by sticking the eyes and the back nose. Use a black pen to draw whiskers over the nose, each about 2 to 3 inches long.
Your walrus craft is now complete! This paper plate craft is incredibly easy and can be made in just a few minutes. It’s an ideal classroom activity that kids would enjoy, creating animal faces on paper plates.
For more craft ideas, be sure to check out our collection of paper plate crafts for kids. Feel free to download the free printable walrus craft template at the end.
More Walrus Crafts for kids
- Cut and Paste Walrus Craft
- Toilet Paper roll Walrus Craft
Explore Paper Plate Crafts for kids
More Resources To learn about Walrus and their Habitat
Download the Free Printable Walrus Craft Template
The Walrus Craft Template Printable includes Templates that can be used in two ways
- Page 4 – To make one of two crafts at home – Print it on white paper and Use the Pieces as Cutouts and Templates to cut from colour Papers
- Rest of the pages – Ideal for classrooms – Teachers can print the pages directly on coloured sheets, cut along the dashed lines, and give them to the kids.
This way, Kids can make their crafts without needing to trace.
This method conserves paper and time compared to the traditional way of tracing and cutting with templates.
If you have any questions or Suggestions please feel free to Let me know in the comments! Thanks!
Have fun making this craft with your children or students!